We are living in times when we are utterly dependent on our smartphones hugely. Be it ordering a meal, booking movie tickets, bus tickets, booking an appointment at a salon or a restaurant, all we need is a few taps on these smart devices that we carry literally everywhere we go.
In their super busy lives, people are constantly moving, from one place to another, and it keeping in mind their busy schedules and busy roads, it gets pretty impossible for them to let the traffic occupy their minds while they are heading for a work trip. And why just work trip, noting the fact that the roads are so busy already, and people hardly like taking the pressure of driving in such an atmosphere. This is when taxi-booking apps come to their rescue.
The taxi-booking mobile apps tend to be a savior for situations when you are in no mood to drive, and still have to manage the hustle bustle of daily lives. No wonder, more and more people today, especially the millennials are very much keen to break the traditional and have no qualms in moving towards automation.
In this blog, we will be discussing in depth regarding the market standing of a taxi booking mobile app, its business model, crucial features, cost to develop such an app, and a lot more, so stay attuned.
Arrival of the Taxi-booking apps and Market Statistics
In the taxi booking industry, Uber is a prominent name that absolutely changed the phenomenon of the cab industry. Today Uber spans across 83 countries and 633 cities, and it has successfully made a mark for itself. In fact, statistics reveal that till 2018, 50 million riders had enjoyed the superior functionalities offered by this concept and today its revenue stands at massive 7.5$ billion.
Taking a cue from its success, many startups, businesses and entrepreneurs came up with the ideas of similar lines for their services and products, hoping that the success gets repeated in various business models. This way, the success of Uber led to many entrepreneurs and small business come up with their own on-demand cab booking mobile app service and other services. These startups now knew what business strategy will work for them to result in profitable revenue and better customer satisfaction.
As per other statistics, it is projected that revenue generated by the taxi services is going to reach 2.92 billion dollars in the US alone, by the year 2020-2022.
This way, there are no surprises over why numerous online cab aggregators today rely on the entrepreneurs who are coming up with their own can booking app projects. But prior to you get into this app creating process, it is vital to have fully understood of the concept, technologies and business models for a successful app launch. So let’s explore.
Extend your business with Taxi Booking Apps
For a business, a cab booking app is very much like a software product that rationalizes the daily routine activities dispatching an engaging and user-friendly User Interface. It is usually compatible with both Android and iOS platforms, and usually, such type of mobile apps have a freemium business model, where they are free to install and use, but to get the benefits of premium features, users would require signing up for the premium version.
Once the user registration is completed, they can now easily begin their search to hire cabs by using Map. A Taxi-booking mobile app comes with many features such as multiple booking, fair splitting, schedule next cab, SMS services, multiple payment getaways and a lot more. These options make the whole experience so easy and worthwhile.
What are the benefits of a Taxi booking mobile app for the drivers?
The scenario with drivers mostly is they are required to wait for hours in taxi-stands, streets, or other places to wait for the passengers. However, with the concept of taxi booking apps, such a scenario can be eliminated while it also facilitates the driver to manage their time well by making them more productive. With the help of cab booking app, drivers are able to:
- Leverage users to request a ride
- As per their time-slots, they are able to accept multiple bookings
- They get the booking status confirmation via the SMS service
- They receive an instant payment
What are the benefits of a Taxi booking mobile app for passengers?
Living in a city that is overpopulated and comes with its own share of traffic troubles, common have a really hard time struggling. Also, in the times when the time is money, waiting in a queue for long to hire a cab, ends up with people losing money. Thus, by using taxi apps, this scenario can be avoided as the concept allows the users to:
- They can mark their pickup location
- They can choose their car type for the ride
- They can trace their driver’s progress for the current ride
- They can split fares
- They can make instant cashless payments
Crucial Aspects to be kept in mind while creating a Cab Booking Mobile app
A few aspects that you need to take care of as you develop a taxi-booking app are:
- Cars Availability:In the case of a taxi app service, you can’t just pick any car, as some cars are luxurious. Hence, it vital to look for the cars that are designed for such kind of concept and offer clean space and interior and can carry more luggage. The condition of the cars and its design are entirely mandated as per local transportation requirements.
- Keep Drivers in mind:Drivers are an essential aspect of a taxi-booking app concept, hence it must be ensured that they are provided with a user-friendly interface. Educate them well about the app and its functions so they are able to manage it easily and can stay in touch with users in the real-time. While designing the app, keep in mind that some drivers may not be tech-savvy, thus keep the app design simple and easy-to-use.
- Car Tracking Functionality:Customers like to be fully assured of their safety and the car-tracking feature makes it easy for the users to trust. Owing to this feature, the users won’t hesitate to book cabs for their close ones. Besides, it is also helpful in attracting the customers, as people do like following a route on the devices. This it is advised that you give your car tracking feature a realistic design.
- Notifications Feature:It is quite known that notification feature is something that the users really enjoy, as this way they are sent push notifications as Welcome Notes, Ride-time reminder, Destination & Trip-end, Payment Details, Vouchers & Offers, Thank you notes, and a lot more.
- Payment Facility:the best thing about these cab booking apps is here you don’t need to be carrying cash as you can make online payments. This is quite helpful as this way taxi users are well aware of the source, destination, distance and they get payment details as the ride gets over or on the way as well.
- License & Insurance:Get all the papers ready before starting the project, as this service requires a commercial driver license from the local department. You must also ensure that everything is taken well care from insurance to registration papers of the cabs and inspection is done. This way you can ensure a safe future.
- GPS & Maps:Geo-Location service is mandatory for a taxi booking service, as customers like to keep the process transparent and ensure their safety. With the GPS facility coming together with Google Maps app, it gets easier to find the fastest possible route, which saves time, while the customer is also assured that the driver is making the right move.
- Having a Fresh idea is vital:A number of apps are already flourishing out there in the market, so someone must have a reason to opt for yours. Offering new features, exclusive design, a well-structured process will make all the difference. Or one can go with great quality cars, followed by professional services and superb marketing.
- Feasible Interface:Here you’d require getting the ground information as it needs to be implemented for the interface. Best is to create a visual harmony that combines all the elements. This certainly helps in figuring out anything unwanted or tedious in your app, as no one wants an app that makes them struggle as they engage with it.
- Keep Competition on mind:Initiate a market survey before jumping into this pot of big fishes. See where you stand currently and target the area where you are keen on launching this service. In case you are from a small city or town, check it well, whether there is a requirement for taxis there.
Types of Taxi Booking Apps
Now that you have understood the crucial aspects of a Taxi-booking mobile app, next comes the type of cab-booking apps. Let’s go to know them:
- Cab Service Mobile App:This type is for the businesses that already enjoy huge prominence in this arena and have their own army of cars and drivers. For them, a taxi service app can be an extension for their already established business. By getting a taxi-booking app, these businesses can make it easier for the customers to book rides and this also opens them to a larger clientele. Needless to say, the app concept will bring in great comfort & ease also for the drivers.
- Independent Cab-Booking Service Mobile App:New to the car-booking arena? Well, in that case, it can be greatly beneficial for you to create an app on the lines of Uber, as obviously you don’t have an army of cars here, so rather provide a mobile booking service to taxi drivers. There can be two versions to this:
- Simple – Here you can provide a taxi booking solution with a simple interface for the users, where they can find driver’s contact information and price estimate, along with a feature allowing them to order a cab or call directly. Additional features for this type can be Map facility, Fare Estimate, Distance, Mileage, etc.
- Complex – This version is fully-featured and more advanced. It requires a server and a lot of functioning in the front-end and back-end. Here the app has two versions, one is for rider and other is for a taxi driver.
Next comes the features of a Taxi-booking Mobile App:
What Features to include in a Taxi Booking Mobile app?
To start with, the app consists of three panels:
- Rider Panel
- Driver Panel
- Admin Panel
Features of Rider Panel:
- Schedule Trip:This feature allows users to schedule trips in advance, as per their preferred time and convenience. This way the riders won’t have to wait for the ride as it has been already booked in advance.
- Preferred Driver:This way the riders can able to mark any preferred driver, so next time, the booking request will first go to the same driver if he is in the same or nearby area.
- Favorite Destination:Using this feature, riders can mark their past-visited destinations as favorite. Then next time as they have to visit this destination, they will get the marked address with a single tap on the screen.
- Payment:Riders can make payments via cards or via cash. You must allow your riders to make the payment for the ride as they desire and according to their convenience.
- Ride History:Users can have whole information regarding trips (completed/upcoming/canceled trips). They can also go back and check pickup and drop-off locations & fare for the specified trip.
- Driver Review:This feature allows the riders to check reviews & feedback of all drivers. As per the ratings and reviews, they can select their driver for their journey.
Features of Driver’s Panel:
- Trip History:Using this feature, drivers can check all records of completed & canceled trips. At the same time, it allows drivers to maintain records of all of their trips and this is quite a helpful feature.
- My Destination:This functionality will allow the drivers to enter pre-defined routes while they head back to their home so this way they will get requests coming in his home route.
- Select Route:Routes can be chosen in two ways, one is Google Maps and the other is Waze Map. Drivers can choose any route suggested by these two.
- Refer Driver:Drivers receive a referral code that they can share with the other drivers to take advantage of the privileges offered. Within the app, they find ‘Invite Friends’ option that can be tapped to avail code to share with friends.
- SOS Contacts:This feature allows the drivers to add their emergency contacts. As soon as the driver activates SOS feature, all of his added contacts are going to receive a text message containing the driver’s current location.
- Review Rider:This feature allows drivers to rate and review the rider. Even drivers should be able to review the rider on a scale of 1 to a 5-star rating and should be able to check all reviews they have given.
Features of the Admin Panel:
- Manual Dispatch:This feature allows to manually assign trip requests to drivers on behalf of riders. It can be useful when riders are in areas with a poor network, where they can’t place a request for a ride and also for the outstation customers.
- Driver Transaction:This feature offers a whole weekly report of driver’s trip, commission, total earned revenue, and the total amount payable after deductions. From here, all the drivers and the trip details can be tracked.
- Manage Advance Fares:This feature is very simple to use. As per this flexible pricing strategy, flexible prices can be set as per specific areas, flat charges and time.
- User Interactive Dashboard:Here under this section, admin can track literally everything. Using this feature admin can monitor all active, pending, completed and canceled trips on the dashboard.
- Driver-wise Commission:From here, Admin is able to set varying commission rates for varying driver groups. The functionality allows the admin to manage the commission rate of all drivers and also check it and change anytime as suitable.
- Admin Reports:Using this feature, admin can check total statistics of the trips for a defined period. She/he is able to check and track all of the trips’ statistics for a certain period.
- In-app Chat & Calling:Often a user is not keen to share their contact details with the drivers for safety reasons. And the in-app chat and calling facility allow them just that. Here they can simply make free in-app calls to the drivers from the mobile app.
- Automated Dispatch:Not all drivers are well-versed with technology, hence the driver’s panel is designed is a manner that it is easy-to-use the app and get through crucial data. Automated Dispatch functionality on the driver’s panel of the app allows to drivers to view instructions clearly on the app screen, thus they can easily decide to accept or reject the cab orders as per their situation.
- Intelligent Queue Algorithm:For a taxi booking app it an essential aspect to proper allocate jobs to the drivers and this is where intelligent queue algorithms come useful. Upon receiving a cab request, the functionality enables the app to do a quick search of nearby drivers and then the job request is sent to the available driver.
- Integrate Real-time Data Analytics functionality:The functionality gives an entire idea of trip statistics, earnings, and payroll to Admin. A taxi-booking app can certainly benefit from this kind of feature, as it does not just keep the riders satisfied by allowing them to use pie charts & third-party APIs via travel data, but also enables the drivers to have a decent idea about their earning via an app.
- Integrate Push Notifications:Quite a useful feature, it helps to keep the drivers and the passengers notified of the trip progress. It keeps them both notified of the happenings.
- Integrate a GPS Tracker:This technology can be integrated into the taxi booking mobile app as using this functionality, the current location of both drivers and passengers can be easily tracked. Here, the users can make the best use of maps integration & positioning to find cars, while a routing server can be useful to find more regarding run routes and distance.
- Heat Maps:Often users have a tough time finding a cab during peak hours. So what this feature can do is it shows the busiest time of certain locations, and thus users can book the cabs accordingly in advance to avoid any inconvenience.
- Real-time Dashboards:Both Admin and Drivers can take advantage of this feature as on the app dashboard, it displayed completed bookings, total earnings, etc. on a daily/weekly/monthly basis.
- Personalized Service:Often users like to visit the same destination where s/he did in the past, and the personalized service feature allow just that. Here the app offers services to the users with a personalized touch like as soon as they open the app to book a cab, the app suggests frequently visited destination options. This way, users just require to tap on the screen to get through the desired service.
- Automated Billing and Payments of Drivers:When drivers can using the app to get more customers, they are required to give a certain share to the app, and thus feature allow to automate the payment acceptance from drivers. Here the admin can choose to charge the drivers on a daily/weekly/monthly basis, as well as the payments can also be instantly transferred to the drivers for their provided services using this functionality.
- Voice Recognition:Here the app users can easily book cabs via voice commands.
- Loyalty Programs:Here the loyal riders receive codes and coupons offering discounts on their trips.
- Split the Bills:When users choose to share the cab with others, they can use a split billing feature to split the bills.
- Marketing Tools:Users are constantly sent coupons and other discount offers to enhance user engagement with the app. This works brilliantly to market the app.
- Payment Gateways:Making hassle-free payments just gets easy with this functionality of multiple payment options. It allows users to make instant payments using Credit Cards, Debit Cards, PayPal, Stripe & Braintree.
What will it cost to create a Taxi-booking mobile app?
Usually, the common aspects on which the cost of app creation depends are the complexity of the app, size of the app, number platforms for which app is being created, but among all of these the most crucial aspect remains the region where the app is being developed.
Once we calculate it all, it is found that the cost to create a cab-booking app may range between $18000-$35000 for an app with basic features and for a single platform, whether iOS or Android. One should be willing to invest $45000 for an app for both platforms and with advanced features to get an edge over your competitors.